Popular Posts

Labels

All images © Prashant and Sharang, unless specifically credited.. Powered by Blogger.

Large-billed crow (Himalayan): Corvus macrorhynchos intermedius

Large-billed crow (Himalayan): Corvus macrorhynchos intermedius
 
Dhalipur is a picturesque village in the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand on the banks of Asan Lake. Nestled at the feet of Timli Range, which lies to its south, Asan Lake and river to its north, River Yamuna to its west, it is a peaceful outpost near the border with Himachal Pradesh. In fact, the Shimla Bypass coursing through the Timli Range forms its southern border, but I took the northern route via Herbertpur and reached Dhalipur by taking a rough track forking off Chakrata Road - which goes on to Paonta Sahib about 15 kms. away – soon after crossing the Asan Barrage and going down through the fields to the village.
I reached Dhalipur at dawn after driving through the night from Delhi. The sky was lightening grey - too early for the camera sensors but not too soon for my city nerves; the cool and refreshing breeze whistling through the confluence of Yamuna and Asan rivers; various waterfowl croaking to my left and a symphony orchestrated by various hidden arboreal and grassland birds ringing in my ears as I walked down the track inhaling deeply the aroma of mountains and the scent of dew-moist fields.
A feldegg subspecies of Yellow wagtail flew in low, landed, breaking my exploratory stride, almost tripping me, and, having snatched attention, instantly took off in a streak of black and yellow. I stared after seduced, but my engrossment was cracked by a guttural grack…grack in my right ear. I looked up. Perched atop a stone fence post, almost within reach, was a Large-billed crow (Himalayan). A Pahari kuwwa or Junglee kuwwa welcome to a shard of paradise.
Large-billed crow (Himalayan): Corvus macrorhynchos intermedius
Synonyms: Sanskrit: Van kak; Hindi: Pahari kuwwa, Junglee kuwwa.
IUCN Status: Least Concern
 
Photographed at Dhalipur village, Asan Barrage, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India on 8.11.2014
Camera used: Nikon D5100 DSLR with Tamron 150-600mm Lens
 

< >

No comments:

Post a Comment